25 Feb Maite’s paella at Alataula, Barcelona – Catalunya
Today Maite came over to show me her style of cooking paella. She loves to cook and has lots of experience as a mother of 3 children and as a daughter of a cook. It was my opportunity to see another cook in action and share the same passion.
Some of the tricks we used include:
- Remove some of the fat from the meat before cooking it.
- To store the mussels keep them in the fridge covered with a damp towel.
- Keep the water from cooking the mussels and shells to add to the paella for a great flavor.
- To avoid the mussels and shells drying up after you have cooked them, keep them in their own water while you hold them to finish cooking the paella. Discard the side of the shell without the meat.
- When making the fish stock “hervir alegramente” (happy boiling, meaning to boil it, not simmer ) and let it rest a little to get more flavorful, around 10 minutes.
- Cut the antennas off the shrimps before cooking them, since it can be annoying to find them when you eat the rice.
Maite, I had a great time seeing you cook and I’m looking forward cooking something else with you!